Quake Frontline Responders Hailed in Cebu

Cebu city: The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday lauded frontliners in Cebu for their heroic response following the disastrous magnitude 6.9 earthquake that struck the island province and nearby areas. The Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 (Central Visayas) held a 'Pasidungog sa mga Bayani' (Honoring the Heroes) ceremony at Camp Sergio Osme±a Sr. in Cebu City to pay tribute to police officers, government agencies, and partner organizations that ensured peace, order, and humanitarian assistance during the crisis.

According to Philippines News Agency, PNP acting chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. commended the PRO-7 for its "strong leadership and collaborative spirit," describing the ceremony as 'a shining example of bayanihan, dedication, and genuine public service.' 'The heroism displayed by our personnel and partners in Cebu is proof that in times of adversity, true heroes rise among those who serve selflessly. The PNP stands ready to continue assisting the people of Central Visayas as they rebuild stronger and more resilient communities,' Nartatez said.

Cebu Governor Pamela Baricuatro, who graced the ceremony, likewise thanked all responders, saying their courage and solidarity brought hope and strength to affected communities.

Among those recognized were Col. Arnel Apud, Deputy Task Group Commander; Lt. Col. Catherine Ramos, Task Group Law and Order Commander; and other Sub-Task Group Commanders and unit heads from Quick Response, Security, Reactionary Standby Support Force, and Emergency Preparedness and Response teams that led rescue, relief, and security operations after the earthquake. Medals and certificates of recognition and appreciation were also awarded to partner agencies that extended logistical and humanitarian assistance.

Meanwhile, Nartatez also assured the public of continued assistance and security following the Oct. 13 tremor that hit Bogo City, which was an aftershock linked to the magnitude 6.9 tremor that hit the same area on Sept. 30. The magnitude 5.8 aftershock that struck at 1:06 a.m. on Monday injured at least 14 individuals, while the death toll from the strong quake last month was pegged at 75, based on the latest available data from the Office of Civil Defense.

'As of now, police stations remain operational and ready to provide security and assistance to affected communities,' Nartatez said.