Manila: Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary Bienvenido Laguesma on Tuesday vowed to "repay" President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. for retaining him as head of the department by performing his duties well. "The only way to repay and do justice to this magnanimity is by committing and seeing to it that the DOLE performs well and does its share and immensely contribute to the realization of the President's vision of a Bagong Pilipinas," Laguesma said in a statement.
According to Philippines News Agency, the DOLE chief issued the statement after Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin announced that Marcos has retained him as part of his Cabinet. "DOLE will continue to be a responsible, responsive, accessible, action-driven and results-oriented institution," Laguesma said, adding that he is "truly overwhelmed and deeply humbled by" Marcos' decision to retain him. He also said Marcos' decision will inspire him to do his utmost best to lead the agency.
"The continuing trust and confidence of the President on my capabilities and competence to lead the DOLE will greatly inspire and motivate me to do my utmost best in the service of the Filipino people, especially for the workers and employers," Laguesma said. Laguesma expressed gratitude to Marcos and also to those who continue to support him.
Upon Marcos' order, Laguesma and other Cabinet officials filed their courtesy resignations last month-a move that Malaca±ang said will allow the President to "recalibrate his administration" following the results of the May 12 midterm elections. Aside from Laguesma, the other Cabinet officials whose resignations Marcos declined-as announced by Bersamin earlier in the day-are:
Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr., Agrarian Reform Secretary Conrado Estrella III, Education Secretary Juan Edgardo Angara, TESDA Director-General Jose Francisco Benitez, Social Welfare Secretary Rex Gatchalian, Health Secretary Teodoro Herbosa, Migrant Workers Secretary Hans Leo Cacdac, Science and Technology Secretary Renato Solidum Jr., Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco, Information and Communications Technology Secretary Henry Aguda, Transportation Secretary Vince Dizon, Public Works Secretary Manuel Bonoan, Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Juan Ponce Enrile, Presidential Management Staff Secretary Elaine Masukat, MMDA Chairman Romando Artes, Mindanao Development Authority Chairman Leo Tereso Magno, Presidential Adviser for Mindanao Concerns Secretary Antonio Cerilles, BIR Commissioner Romeo Lumagui Jr., Customs Commissioner Bienvenido Rubio, and National Treasurer Sharon Almanza.
Bersamin said the performance evaluation process is still ongoing, including for officials below Cabinet rank.