Manila: Newly appointed Bureau of Customs (BOC) Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno has ordered the suspension of the implementation of all previously approved but unserved letters of authority (LOAs) and mission orders (MOs).
According to Philippines News Agency, the LOA authorizes customs officers to demand evidence of payment of duties and taxes on imported goods openly for sale or kept in storage, as provided under Section 224 of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA). An MO refers to the written directive or order issued by the Commissioner or other Customs officers authorized in writing by the BOC chief to carry out specific instructions given to a deputized officer.
In a memorandum issued on July 2, Nepomuceno instructed concerned deputy commissioners to submit a comprehensive status report on all LOAs and MOs issued from Jan. 1 to June 30, 2025, within 24 hours of receipt. The suspension is part of a broader effort to restore discipline in field operations, prevent unauthorized or outdated enforcement activities, and reinforce the agency's commitment to lawful and transparent practices.
The directive applies to all LOAs and MOs issued before July 2 that have yet to be served and covers all units under the Intelligence and Enforcement Groups. 'We are implementing this step to clearly determine what actions are still pending and to ensure that all enforcement efforts are legally sound, properly documented, and aligned with the Bureau's direction moving forward,' Nepomuceno said in a statement Thursday.
The BOC remains aligned with the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to professionalize government operations and intensify efforts against smuggling and revenue leakage, the media release said. It added that the agency continues to uphold its core mandate through effective enforcement and institutional reform.