Third Party Assessment Needed for Estero de Sunog Apog Pumping Station: DPWH Chief

Manila: Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon has recommended a third-party assessment of the Estero de Sunog Apog pumping station in Gagalangin, Tondo, which is criticized for being "constantly broken".

According to Philippines News Agency, the facility on Hermosa Street, which costs over PHP774 million, is part of the DPWH's flood control project aimed at preventing flooding in low-lying areas of Manila such as Espa±a Boulevard, Sampaloc District, Rizal Avenue, and Maria Clara Street. During a recent inspection, it was discovered that no independent third-party assessment had been conducted on the project since its completion in 2020, despite repeated repairs almost every year.

"They say they need an additional 200 million. I've already scratched the surface. I said, there's no end to it. So what we're going to do here is we're going to do a third-party assessment. So that I really know what needs to be done to fix it once and for all. And how much does it cost," the DPWH chief said in a statement Wednesday.

Dizon, along with Manila Mayor Isko Moreno and Baguio City Mayor and Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) Special Adviser Benjamin Magalong, inspected the facility on September 24. The pumping station was started in 2018 and completed in 2020, but Dizon, citing stories from residents, said it did not work as expected and only added to the problem of flooding in the area.

"This is worse. Because it was useless from the beginning, you paid in full, it does not work, it does not help anyone, maybe it is even worse because it is blocking the water here even more. Then it was repaired, it is useless because it is still not working," he added.

Dizon also noted that although the contractor claims that the current repairs are covered by the warranty, there is a document showing that there is a new fund worth PHP94 million that the government will shell out for additional repairs-something he called a "wrong system." He directed the DPWH National Capital Region to coordinate with the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority instead of repeatedly repairing it, which he said consumes millions of government funds.

"This cannot be repeated. These kinds of projects must be ensured to be functional-not just built and paid for," he added.