Manila: Newly minted Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon on Monday said he will order the courtesy resignation of all DPWH officials, following President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.'s directive to purge the department amid alleged irregularities in multibillion-peso flood control projects. Dizon said the move, which he announced hours after he took his oath as DPWH chief, marks the start of a 'clean sweep' to restore public trust, ensure transparency, and guarantee that every peso spent in infrastructure truly serves the Filipino people.
According to Philippines News Agency, Dizon emphasized that his first directive would be to order courtesy resignations from top to bottom, including undersecretaries, assistant secretaries, division heads, regional directors, and district engineers throughout the country. During a Palace press briefing, he stated that this initiative aligns with the President's mandate to 'clean up' the DPWH, as discussed in a prolonged conversation with President Marcos earlier that morning.
The new DPWH chief has outlined a timeline of 30 to 60 days to implement the sweeping changes. Dizon takes over from Manuel Bonoan, who resigned under the principle of 'command responsibility' following revelations of irregularities in flood control projects. With his previous experience as Transportation Secretary and Presidential Adviser on Flagship Programs, Dizon is committed to executing the President's mandate to restore public trust in the DPWH and ensure that infrastructure projects are conducted with integrity, transparency, and efficiency.